[BlueOnyx:05848] Re: BlueOnyx on 2010 model Mac Mini

User Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Tue Nov 16 00:40:00 -05 2010

Hi Michael,
interesting. Wouldn't it be better to try and make an iso with a 2.6.35
kernel that's already compiled for CentOS 5 like the one here:

http://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el5/x86_64/RPMS/kernel-ml-2.6.35-8.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

I am not quite sure how to build a .iso, I will have to investigate, but it
sound doable!

Thanks for the tips.

- Ernie.

> What could be done is this:
> ===================
>
> One could download the 2.6.35 kernel SRPM for FC14 and could try to recompile
> it on CentOS5. Then one takes the BlueOnyx ISO image apart and replaces the
> CentOS5 kernel on the CD with the recompiled 2.6.35 FC14 kernel.
>
> Additionally it may be necessary to replace the 1st stage loader of the CD
> with a modified one from the FC14 ISO image, or the installer will be unable
> to access the disks for the installation.
>
> Even then there are some unknown waters:
>
> Will the FC14 2.6.35 kernel compile on CentOS5 w/o to begin with? It could
> require a vast array of updated RPMs that are not present in the desired
> version numbers.
>
> Will your custom CentOS5 will be able to boot and run with the 2.6.35 kernel,
> as there are some architectural changes?
>
> It could be that the FC14 1st stage loader also requires a newer Anaconda
> installer than the one present on our CD. In that case more extensive updates
> would be required to our custom CD.
>

> If someone would borrow or donate me a Mac Mini, I could certainly throw
> something together and it would be a nice exercise and fun project for a
> couple of weekends. But I'm not really inclined to pay 709,- EUR for a (nice
> looking - that's true!) cigar-box with the Apple logo on it, while I could get
> a fully blown and much more powerful desktop server for the same price.
>
> --
>
> Oh, I just checked the CentOS forums and there could be another way:
>
> See: http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10701
>
> Use the latest CentOS5 DVD and install a CentOS5 minimal install as outlined
> in the 1st post on that page. Be sure to set up a separate /home partition as
> well, as BlueOnyx wants one.
>
> Once you have CentOS5 installed and the Mac Mini survived a reboot and still
> has a network connection, then grab the BlueOnyx tarball and install BlueOnyx
> from the tarball.
>
> Maybe that works. But no guarantees.
>
> --
> With best regards