[BlueOnyx:05867] Re: Nov 09 06:00:40 Updated: proftpd-1.3.3c-1BX1.i386

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 17 03:26:04 -05 2010

Hi Darrell,

> Apparently YUM and BX knew how I wanted to run my FTP services better than
> I did.

Oh yes, it did. During some updates our ProFTPd must install a different
proftpd.conf than the one that was previously there. This is unavoidable due
to some architectural changes. So during the YUM update proftpd.conf got
replaced with a blank one, to which then the containers for the different
bound IPs were added. While some settings are adjusted, others (like anonymous
FTP) were not.

> While it was tossing things away, it tossed the entire section of one
> site's configuration that had an anonymous FTP server configured.

Anonymous FTP? Bad idea, really. I already was about to remove it from
BlueOnyx, but then someone complained that it can be useful on an intranet
server like in an office. There it still makes sense. But on a public
webserver that invites all kinds of mischief.