[BlueOnyx:05879] Re: Tomcat 6

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 17 16:14:35 -05 2010

Hi Herb,

Herb Rubin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is Tomcat 6 approved for use with BlueOnyx?
>
> I saw a web page that said it was easy to install by using this:
>
> cd /etc/yum.repos.d
> wget 'http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage50.repo'
> yum update
> yum install tomcat6 tomcat6-webapps tomcat6-admin-webapps
> service tomcat6 start
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before. Is jpackage.org's
> repo compatible with BlueOnyx?

I haven't tried it myself, so I wouldn't be able to tell you directly.
  However, as has been amply noted both in the BX system and on this
mailing list, 3rd party repos should be used only with extreme caution
and after you have vetted them out first.

The trouble with the 3rd party repos is that you never know what kind of
dependencies or "updates" they'll think they're helping you out with
that will wind up impairing or completely breaking your BX system.

To be completely safe, the only procedure I would consider would be:

1) Test on a development (disposable) system.
2) Carefully observe what dependencies are met by the 3rd party repo.
3) If all goes well on the test box, then proceed with your production
system.
4) Once your install is complete, immediately remove the 3rd party repo
from your YUM config, then run "yum update" again.

All that said, there's still no guarantee things will be smooth sailing.
  My best advice (which probably won't be the answer you wanted) would
be to hold off unless there's something you're doing that really
requires Tomcat 6.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services