[BlueOnyx:05926] Re: eth0 vs seth0 and adding new sites

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 24 17:28:55 -05 2010

Hi Dennis,

> Where else in the code could this be?  Is it in a compiled module
> somewhere?

No, not in something that's compiled.

We have provisions in for network devices named "eth" and for ones named
"venet". But of course not "seth", as you have noticed. I've never run into
that kind of network device, so until you mentioned it it was unknown to me.
What's so special about it that it has it's own name and deviates from the
standard "eth" naming convention?

I just checked what code needs to be modified to add a new type of network
device. It's plenty:

base-apache.mod/glue/handlers/preview.pl
/usr/sausalito/sbin/dnsImport.pl
base-dhcpd.mod (Several files. However, this module is usually not installed)
base-network.mod/glue/constructor/30_addNetwork.pl
base-network.mod/glue/handlers/Network.pm
base-network.mod/glue/handlers/change_route.pl
base-network.mod/glue/handlers/no_duplicates.pl
base-network.mod/glue/handlers/rewrite-ifcfg.pl
base-network.mod/glue/schemas/network.schema (not sure about this one)
base-network.mod/ui/web/network_details.php
base-vsite.mod/glue/handlers/Vsite.pm
base-vsite.mod/glue/handlers/network_destroy.pl
base-vsite.mod/ui/web/networkHandler.php

When you search /usr/sausalito/ for the term "venet", all relevant files that
may need to be modified should be listed. That's easier than to search for
"eth", as that also lists comments and variables like "method", which are
unrelated to the issue.