[BlueOnyx:05928] Re: eth0 vs seth0 and adding new sites

Dennis daodennis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:19:54 -05 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
>> Where else in the code could this be?  Is it in a compiled module
>> somewhere?
>
> No, not in something that's compiled.

Great!

> We have provisions in for network devices named "eth" and for ones named
> "venet". But of course not "seth", as you have noticed. I've never run into
> that kind of network device, so until you mentioned it it was unknown to me.
> What's so special about it that it has it's own name and deviates from the
> standard "eth" naming convention?

It is a Microsoft thing:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=eee39325-898b-4522-9b4c-f4b5b9b64551

"When installed in a supported Linux virtual machine running on
Hyper-V, the Linux Integration Components provide:
• Driver support for synthetic devices: The Linux integration
components include support for both the synthetic network controller
and synthetic storage controller that have been developed specifically
for Hyper-V. These components take advantage of the new high-speed
bus, VMBus, which was developed for Hyper-V.
• Fastpath Boot Support: Boot devices now take advantage of the
storage VSC to provide enhanced performance.
• Timesync: The clock inside the virtual machine will remain
synchronized with the clock on the host.
• Integrated Shutdown: Virtual machines running Linux can be shut down
from either Hyper-V Manager or System Center Virtual Machine Manager,
using the “Shut Down” command.
• Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP) Support: Supported Linux
distributions can use up to 4 virtual processors (VP) per virtual
machine.
• Heartbeat: Allows the host to detect whether the guest is running
and responsive.
• Pluggable Time Source: A pluggable clock source module is included
to provide a more accurate time source to the guest."

> I just checked what code needs to be modified to add a new type of network
> device. It's plenty:
>
> base-apache.mod/glue/handlers/preview.pl
> /usr/sausalito/sbin/dnsImport.pl
> base-dhcpd.mod (Several files. However, this module is usually not installed)
> base-network.mod/glue/constructor/30_addNetwork.pl
> base-network.mod/glue/handlers/Network.pm
> base-network.mod/glue/handlers/change_route.pl
> base-network.mod/glue/handlers/no_duplicates.pl
> base-network.mod/glue/handlers/rewrite-ifcfg.pl
> base-network.mod/glue/schemas/network.schema (not sure about this one)
> base-network.mod/ui/web/network_details.php
> base-vsite.mod/glue/handlers/Vsite.pm
> base-vsite.mod/glue/handlers/network_destroy.pl
> base-vsite.mod/ui/web/networkHandler.php
>
> When you search /usr/sausalito/ for the term "venet", all relevant files that
> may need to be modified should be listed. That's easier than to search for
> "eth", as that also lists comments and variables like "method", which are
> unrelated to the issue.

Thanks Michael.  I'll just try to parallel the VENET addition however,
it's not the same as the sethX card operates exactly as an ethX one
would, I suppose I could add an interface alias, I think?

We'll find out more after I get some Tryptophan in me.

Thanks,

Dennis O.