[BlueOnyx:05524] Re: rewrite rule

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Wed Oct 6 09:58:59 -05 2010

In my opinion, the old behavior should be the default. Period. Also, the
implications of this are, as has been reported here, more far-reaching.
Messes up stats (webalizer, awstats, probably the usage accounting),
subdomains, and perhaps more within BX and who knows what this might break
for end user url rewriting or dependencies and potentially breaking out
client's sites like what was reported with the phpwrappers update. Should
not be enabled by default when it installs.

Also, having a 301 redirect to the www.yourdomain.com from yourdomain.com is
good seo. Why split your web traffic between those who've entered the site
domain with and without the host part?

I'm good for people who want the options to go without, but not good for
having the platform features pulled incompatibly out from underneath them
and breaking things we are dependent upon.

There are some default aspects of BX/BQ that could stand some change, but
that should be well and widely announced in advance of any such change after
a general consensus in favor of it.

Sorry if I'm grumpy this morning, but it's one of those mornings... :-/

	-Stephanie