[BlueOnyx:05525] Re: rewrite rule

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Oct 6 10:16:27 -05 2010

Stephanie Sullivan wrote:
> In my opinion, the old behavior should be the default. Period. Also, the
> implications of this are, as has been reported here, more far-reaching.
> Messes up stats (webalizer, awstats, probably the usage accounting),
> subdomains, and perhaps more within BX and who knows what this might break
> for end user url rewriting or dependencies and potentially breaking out
> client's sites like what was reported with the phpwrappers update. Should
> not be enabled by default when it installs.

Well agreed.  I'm sure that many of us have spent considerable time
educating users/customers as to how the process works with the rewrite
for the null-hostname.  This puts us at risk of looking, mmmm, silly.

> There are some default aspects of BX/BQ that could stand some change, but
> that should be well and widely announced in advance of any such change after
> a general consensus in favor of it.

Absolutely.  I think that we do see feature requests pop up from time to
time on the list, and those will frequently be covered on the dev list
as well.  We've seen a few of those carried out into current production
code and other features slated for implementation.

> Sorry if I'm grumpy this morning, but it's one of those mornings... :-/

Should we be taking a collection for the Sullivan Coffee Fund?  :)
I'll put on my motivational speaker hat for you and remind you that
there are no bad days, just challenging parts to good days.  The rest is
what you make it.   You now either feel better or want to crawl through
your Ethernet cable to strangle me.  <shrug>  I do what I can.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services