[BlueOnyx:05592] HP DL380 G3's and HPASM and HPASMCLI

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Sat Oct 16 20:17:24 -05 2010

It seems like every time I change /boot/grub/grub.conf to use the latest
kernel released by CentOS, shortly thereafter my server will hang up.  It
will respond to pings to the IP address, I can FTP to the server IP and it
says connected but never goes any further, DNS doesn't seem to be
responding.

The last time I edit grub.conf was on October 11th at 6:54PM, and it hung up
October 12th from 3AM until I found I non-responsive the next morning at
9AM.  I cycled the IP-based power strip, and while that brought it back up,
it corrupted a few files, so not enjoyable.

My server has HPASM running on it along with HPASMCLI, the command line
version.  One of the features is a watchdog timer:

ASR - Automatic Server Recovery.

hpasmcli> show asr

ASR timeout is 10 minutes.

ASR is currently enabled.

Why is the system sitting for 6 hours without rebooting?