[BlueOnyx:05608] Re: SYSERR(root): rewrite: excessive recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify

Soyer Frank fsoyer at systea.net
Tue Oct 19 12:21:05 -05 2010

Hi guys,

I've installed a new BlueOnyx server to test all that. I've set one by
one all parameters (virtualhost, server aliases in blueonyx, DNS, users,
mail aliases...). Actually the parameters are :

- the virtualhost is called "www.systea.fr"
- there is an alias "systea.fr" on web server and on mail server
- the DNS are :

# dig systea.fr
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;systea.fr.            IN    A (no answer)

# dig www.systea.fr
www.systea.fr.        86400    IN    A    82.138.98.133

# dig -tMX systea.fr
systea.fr.        86400    IN    MX    10 mail1.systea.fr.
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail1.systea.fr.    86400    IN    A    82.138.98.133

# dig -tMX www.systea.fr
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;www.systea.fr.            IN    MX (no answer)

In other words : as simple as possible... No DNS rule for "systea.fr",
no MX on "www.systea.fr". Just "www" and "mail1" pointing to the IP, and
the MX set to "mail1". Nothing more.
And ?... It works like a charm. No error messages, mails go in and out
without any problem, users mails or mail aliases are reached.

So @Michael : I wonder if the DNS given on the Solarspeed page are not
*too* complicated ??
In our configuration, the aliases imap, pop3 and smtp are just there to
facilitate the setup of users's mail programs, they are not important
here. So if we just look at :

.ouestlekeum.com MX mail.ouestlekeum.com
.ouestlekeum.com A 82.138.98.155
www.ouestlekeum.com A 82.138.98.155
mail.ouestlekeum.com A 82.138.98.155

The difference with my configuration on systea.fr is the
".ouestlekeum.com A 82.138.98.155".
The domain name redirect to the IP ? Why ? For some slackers who are
afraid by typing "www." ? ;) Not sure that this is useful for emails.
And on your suggestion bellow, why a MX *from www *to www ? I don't
understand this line.

But maybe it's not important. The server ouestlekeum.com works now, with
this configuration.

Frank