[BlueOnyx:08317] Re: Wordpress HowTo

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Aug 30 10:28:44 -05 2011

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Ernie,
>
>> but the "Update Automatically" button just takes me to the "Connection
>> Information" dialog where it asks for ftp information.
>
> That's the part that I don't understand, Ernie. Is that a button in the
> BlueOnyx GUI, or in Wordpress?

I believe that Ernie is talking about the WordPress update function.
When it senses a newer version is available it will give the option to
download and install it from the admin (WordPress) interface.

> If you're refering to an update function built into Wordpress, then it could
> be that you have to allow the PHP function "Allow URL Fopen". Which is
> typically disabled in BlueOnyx for security reasons. But PHP needs it enabled
> if the script in question wants to make a connection to an outside URL.

A quick fix for this is to hard-code the FTP information into the
wp-config file.  You can place this in your wp-config.php inside the
<?php ?>.  (ie: line 2 of the file is fine).

define('FS_METHOD', 'ftpsockets');
define('FTP_BASE', '../../../web/');
define('FTP_CONTENT_DIR', '/wp-content/');
define('FTP_PLUGIN_DIR ', '/wp-content/plugins/');
define('FTP_USER', 'USERNAME');
define('FTP_PASS', 'PASSWORD');
define('FTP_HOST', 'localhost');

> Other than that: PHP-5.2.10 is quite old (July 2009) and in fact the entire
> PHP-5.2 line has been EOL'ed by PHP.net. The last PHP-5.2 was 5.2.17.

This is true.  And the latest versions of WordPress will scream for the
more up-to-date versions of PHP.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services