[BlueOnyx:09173] Some kind of attack?

Abdul Rashid Abdullah webmaster at muntada.com
Tue Dec 6 18:10:17 -05 2011

I just had a situation in which my server became overwhelmed.  Fortunately
I was able to login and found a lot of processes such as the following on
the system:

root      5031 18125  0 17:21 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: server
115-64-9-98.static.tpgi.com.au [115.64.9.98] cmd read

I stopped sendmail services and then restarted them which killed of all of
these processes.  What else should I do and is there a vulnerability in
the system that is being exploited?  Does it require a patch or is it a
configuration issue?

-Rashid