[BlueOnyx:09190] Re: Mailman Conversion

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Dec 7 15:48:14 -05 2011

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Abdul Rashid Abdullah <webmaster at muntada.com>
Sent: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:58:34 -0500
Subject: [BlueOnyx:09188] Re: Mailman Conversion

> I went into sendmail.cf and modified the reference to aliases.majordomo to aliases.mailman.
>
> I then did a restart of the sendmail services and did a new aliases command.  After which things are working now.
>
> I realize that even though a prefix is made for the mailing list name, an alias without the prefix is also created.  So that's good.  Only one thing I am missing from the old majordomo days:
>
> I used to be able to create distribution lists.  These were mailing lists that didn't require the senders to be members of the mailing list.  I was able to create lists like sales at muntada.com and have it expand to multiple folks.  It seems with the mailman, you can't do that even though the BlueOnyx GUI interface would lead you to believe that could be done.  Am I right or wrong about this conclusion and besides creating an account, assigning it aliases, and do email forwarding, is there any other option?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rashid

A possible work-around for the distribution lists issue - create a user "sales" for that site.  Then turn on mail forwarding and add the addresses you want mail forwarded to.  I've had a BX server forward mail to as many as five or six addresses.  Its something of a PIA having to create another user - but it works.

Chuck