[BlueOnyx:09198] Re: Computers not loading up

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Dec 9 13:30:13 -05 2011

Franklin S Werren wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I have notice that some of the later model desktops will not load up with BlueOnyx
> either the CentOS or the SL versions. These are either HP or Compaq desktops
> that had XP on them and I have replaced the old drives with with new 2 tb hard
> drives and either 2 gigs of ram or 4 gigs of ram. I have read on
> Slashdot that some of the mfg's are installing or will be installing Windows only
> BIOS in the home/office based computers.
>
>  Is this an issue just limited with the HP/Compaq desktops or is there a
> trick to load them up with BlueOnyx ??
> Maybe there is an extra command to force a load up???
>
> Ideas ????
>
> PS I prefer not trash a good computer just because the it will not load up.
> It is not very Green of me and I like to recycle.

Hi Franklin,

Does the system boot from the CD/DVD drive?  If not, you might try
booting with another optical drive.  We keep a little batch of USB-DVD
drives floating around the datacenter for that purpose (plus a lot of
systems don't come with optical drives anymore).

Also keep in mind that some older systems may not recognize a 2TB HDD.
You could always try putting in a smaller drive, say one of the drives
that probably came out of those old desktops.

We have loaded 5107R on old Pentium3 servers with 512MB RAM, to
dual-quad boxes with 32GB RAM.  We generally don't use 2TB drives but
1.5's have not been an issue.

Maybe give us a little more info on where you're getting the failure?

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services