[BlueOnyx:09203] Re: migration problems BQ to BO

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sat Dec 10 19:30:02 -05 2011

What in the world would be the purpose of:
EXPORTING A BLUEQUARTZ,
IMPORTING IT TO A BLUEONYX,
RE-EXPORTING FROM THE BLUEONYX,
and IMPORTING TO A BLUEQUARTZ??

That seems like a ridiculous set of steps and gets you right back onto a BlueQuartz machine!!

To date, I've converted about fourteen BlueQuartz servers to BlueOnyx.  Every one of them was done:
1)cmuExport sites and MySQLDump all databases on BlueQuartz server,
2)wipe and reload machine with BlueOnyx,
3)cmuImport sites and cat databases to MySQL server,
with the only thing left to do is fix any sites using Joomla, Wordpress, or similar packages that puts the full path in its configuration file (since the site# usually changes in the cmuExport/cmuImport process).

The only issue I've had with passwords - while BlueOnyx does a password security/strength check on all passwords you put in, cmuImport bypasses that process.  So idiots on the old BlueQuartz server with passwords like "123456", "password", or the same as the username had that poor password on the new BlueOnyx server.  And the inevitable hacking found them/exploited the BlueOnyx server just as they had on the BlueQuartz servers.

So I had to institute a policy of running "Jack the Ripper" against password files when converting - and then suspending any users with easily guessed passwords until they'd been updated on the new BlueOnyx server.  But other than that - I've never had a password problem with using cmuExport/cmuImport.

Chuck