[BlueOnyx:09232] Re: named and authentication problems

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Dec 13 23:40:17 -05 2011

> As soon as I fixed the DNS issue, the delay did go away, the authentication now is instant.  I still don't know though why when I add a CNAME record to a particular domain, it is bringing down the DNS
> The CNAME record I'm adding is like this. schedule.domain.com alias to schedule.someotherdomain.com
> As soon as I save that record, it kills BIND.
> When I look at the  messages log file it says that there is an error in the configuration, and what I can see from the log files, it loads up all the domain names, but when it comes to that one it has something like _default domain.com etc .  I think the _default tag is what causing bind to not load up, but I don't know why a simple alias could do that.
> Thanks for all the help :)
------- End of Original Message -------

That might be a syntax issue Gregg.  I'm not accustomed to using the GUI for DNS management (I have two stand-alone servers for DNS and work at the CL).

>From your description, you're trying to configure the DNS server to cname "schedule.domain.com" to "schedule.someotherdomain.com".  But if you're putting in the whole name for the local host "schedule.domain.com" instead of putting in just the hostname "schedule" - that's probably the problem.  When you're configuring a specific domain, you only enter the the hostname, not the full hostname+domainname.

Try it with just "schedule" pointing via cname to "schedule.someotherdomain.com".  That may get that cname working for you.

Oh, and avoid underlines in the hostname.  That will crash the Bind9 software that BX uses for DNS.

Chuck