[BlueOnyx:06589] Re: Trouble in the CentOS camp

Ralf Quint Smoothwall at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 19:01:31 -05 2011

At 03:11 PM 2/26/2011, User Ernie wrote:
>I have never really used Fedora for hosting, mainly CentOS or Ubuntu
>Server (LTS) for
>Linux, I only mentioned Fedora because BlueQuartz started on Redhat
>and moved to
>Fedora before CentOS.
BlueQuartz did not "start" on Fedora, it used the original Sun/Cobalt
RaQ550 source, which in turn were based on RedHat. That was back in
2003 and the first version of CentOS came out in 2004, with a focus
on what became RHEL while Fedora has been from the get go being aimed
at a mainly desktop distribution. Two different targets, two
different philosophies...

>The CentOS community is very restless because the 6.0
>has so far taken way longer than prevous releases so they want to know why.
>Prior releases took 4-6 weeks, this one is several months and still counting.
>
>It looks like the CentOS 5.6 update might be our before 6.0.

So what? CentOS is (as the abreviation suggests) aimed at Enterprise
level/server oriented usage. In such environment, which suites the
purpose of BlueOnyx as well, it is more important to have a mature
and reliable base than being right at the "bleeding edge". That's
what a lot of folks who can't wait to get the lastest just for the
latest sake don't understand and than start to stir up a storm in the
waterglass.

"Patience is a virtue"...

Ralf