[BlueOnyx:06216] Increasing disk capacity using RAID rebuilds

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Sun Jan 2 13:37:28 -05 2011

First of all, Happy New Year - it sounds like 2011 is going to be an exciting year for BO/BX.

Is there any way to increase the disks in use on a live server without a complete rebuild and transferring all the sites?

I am hoping it would be possible to do something like swap secondary RAID disks to the larger capacity, let it rebuild, move this to primary, put another large disk is as secondary and rebuild again.

I've tried this on a test server, but I cannot find how to get linux to see the larger disks or the extra capacity beyond the size of the original disk size.  I guess this is possible, but I've missed an important step somewhere.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Richard