[BlueOnyx:06217] Re: Increasing disk capacity using RAID rebuilds

Jeffrey Pellin jeffrey at px2co.net
Sun Jan 2 14:10:24 -05 2011

Hi Richard,

This sounds like the kind of crazy thing that I might try.

I don't think that you can do it without about 1/2 hours downtime.

After you have got the new disks running you need to edit the partition
tables to make the partitions larger. This might not work, it could break
the raid and take your server down.

Recently I've taken to only running Blueonyx in a virtual environment
because it makes all this kind of thing so much easier. If you don't want
to (pay) to use Aventurine, try Proxmox. You should be able to migrate
your existing server to a vps on a Proxmox box using your new disks. Being
on a virtual environment has big down-the-line advantages for backup,
restore and migration.

Regards

Jeffrey

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 18:37:28 -0000, "Richard Morgan"  wrote:  First of all,
Happy New Year - it sounds like 2011 is going to be an exciting year for
BO/BX.   Is there any way to increase the disks in use on a live server
without a complete rebuild and transferring
all the sites?   I am hoping
it would be possible to do something like swap secondary RAID disks to the
larger capacity, let it rebuild, move this to primary, put another large
disk is as secondary and rebuild again.   I've tried this on a test
server, but I cannot find how to get linux to see the larger disks or the
extra capacity beyond the size of the original disk size. I guess this is
possible, but I've missed an important step somewhere.   Any ideas or
pointers would be greatly appreciated.   Regards, Richard