[BlueOnyx:06267] Re: Help with webmail predicament: moving web to different server, keeping email on existing

Jon McCauley jon at ontarioweb.ca
Wed Jan 5 14:14:51 -05 2011

On 1/5/2011 1:37 PM, Jim Dory wrote:
>    I am moving our website off to a new hosting company, so
> nomealaska.org will be on a different server, different IP address. We
> are keeping our email server on the existing in-house server however,
> and unfortunately it is also named nomealaska.org.
>
> When traveling we access our work email by logging into
> nomealaska.org/webmail. That redirects to
> https://www.nomealaska.org/webmail. Here is what the new hosting company
> suggested we do to handle keeping our ability to log into webmail:
>
> "
>
> Since the overall domain of nomealaska.org will
> point to our web server, the address https://www.nomealaska.org/webmail
> will no longer work as it does in its current form.  On your DNS server,
> we'll probably have to setup something like https://mail.nomealaska.org
> so that it points to the IP address of your mail server.  We can then
> add a redirect for http://www.nomealaska.org/webmail so that it routes
> to your server.  That will mean registering a new ssl certificate for
> your mail server so that it runs on https://mail.nomealaska.org.
>
> "
>
> I'm not sure what all I need to do to make this change. In my
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/blueonyx.conf file I have this:
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}            !-d
> RewriteRule .*
> https://%1:444/error/forbidden.html [L,R]
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
> RewriteRule ^/admin/?$
> https://www.nomealaska.org:81/login.php [L,R]
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
> RewriteRule ^/siteadmin/?$
> https://www.nomealaska.org:81/login.php [L,R]
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
> RewriteRule ^/personal/?$
> https://www.nomealaska.org:81/login.php [L,R]
>

> Assume I'll maybe want to make some changes there such as
> https://mail.nomealaska.org in place of existing?
> Is this the easiest/best way of handling this? I have several users who
> only use webmail (squirrelmail) for accessing their accounts so they
> have email stored on the server. Hate to be much of a disruptor for them.
>
> Advice warmly welcomed. A nice outline of steps involved?
> cheers, JD
Jim, the quick's way to accomplish this is to have your new hosting
company create a PTR recorded ( taking they control the DNS) for
mail.nomealaska.org pointing to your email servers IP ( in House ). Then
go into the GUI of that mail server and change the web alias from
www.nomealaska.org to mail.nomealaska.org. Also if you have any DNS
recordes on this mail server clear the www entry's for this domain so
the mail resolves properly

HTH

Best Regards, Jon McCauley