[BlueOnyx:06269] Re: Help with webmail predicament: moving web to different server, keeping email on existing

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Wed Jan 5 15:59:14 -05 2011

On 1/5/2011 10:14 AM, Jon McCauley wrote:
> On 1/5/2011 1:37 PM, Jim Dory wrote:
>>     I am moving our website off to a new hosting company, so
>> nomealaska.org will be on a different server, different IP address. We
>> are keeping our email server on the existing in-house server however,
>> and unfortunately it is also named nomealaska.org.
>>
>> When traveling we access our work email by logging into
>> nomealaska.org/webmail. That redirects to
>> https://www.nomealaska.org/webmail. Here is what the new hosting company
>> suggested we do to handle keeping our ability to log into webmail:
>>
>> "
>>
>> Since the overall domain of nomealaska.org will
>> point to our web server, the address https://www.nomealaska.org/webmail
>> will no longer work as it does in its current form.  On your DNS server,
>> we'll probably have to setup something like https://mail.nomealaska.org
>> so that it points to the IP address of your mail server.  We can then
>> add a redirect for http://www.nomealaska.org/webmail so that it routes
>> to your server.  That will mean registering a new ssl certificate for
>> your mail server so that it runs on https://mail.nomealaska.org.
>>
>> "
>> Is this the easiest/best way of handling this? I have several users who
>> only use webmail (squirrelmail) for accessing their accounts so they
>> have email stored on the server. Hate to be much of a disruptor for them.
>>
>> Advice warmly welcomed. A nice outline of steps involved?
>> cheers, JD
> Jim, the quick's way to accomplish this is to have your new hosting
> company create a PTR recorded ( taking they control the DNS) for
> mail.nomealaska.org pointing to your email servers IP ( in House ). Then
> go into the GUI of that mail server and change the web alias from
> www.nomealaska.org to mail.nomealaska.org. Also if you have any DNS
> recordes on this mail server clear the www entry's for this domain so
> the mail resolves properly
>
> HTH
>
> Best Regards, Jon McCauley

Thanks a bunch Jon, helps a lot with the confidence.

I have control of DNS and right now, under the PTR records of our
registrar it has:
3.125.12.12.in-addr.arpa  for Reverse zone. If I click Edit, I am
presented with input boxes for:
Partial IP Address (reverse notation)   and   Host Name .
This throws me as I'm not sure what they mean by "Partial". Would I just
enter 3.125.12.12 for Partial IP Address and then mail.nomealaska.org
for Host Name, or perhaps just mail?

thanks much, Jim

--
Jim Dory