[BlueOnyx:06312] Re: set smtp to allow roaming users?

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Fri Jan 14 14:24:41 -05 2011

On 1/14/2011 6:39 AM, Dogsbody wrote:

> Others have commented on enabling the submission port but if you have an
> RBL list enabled such as Spamhaus ZEN then travelling people will still
> be blocked as they will have a dynamic address.
>
> To get around this you need to set Sendmail so that it Authenticates
> before it blocks.  Backup /etc/mail/sendmail.mc first and then change
> the following too likes to this...
>
> FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
> dnl FEATURE(`greet_pause',`700')dnl
>
> ... a `/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart` will then use the new settings.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Dan

Thanks much Dan!  I got it working with port 587 on my home system and I
have a remote user who will try to set it up soon to use the same. My
research found the FEATURE you reference in the bluequartz email list -
but I haven't enabled it yet. Will do so right now just in case various
ISPs would be affected (sounds like they may).

Your instructions leave the FEATURE(`greet_pause',`700')dnl still
commented out so will do that as written.

It used to be necessary to do some kind of a "make" on the .mc file
first? but not now?  I don't really remember well but have it in notes
somewhere. Looks like it is not necessary now so will give it a try as
written.

cheers, JD

--
Jim Dory