[BlueOnyx:06317] Re: FastCGI

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jan 15 15:28:53 -05 2011

Hi lewisg,

> Is FastCGI installed on BlueOnyx 5106R? If not how is the best way to
> install?
>
> I need to be able to deploy some REAL Studio applications that require
> Dynamic FastCGI.

There are several ways how to integrate PHP into Apache. Using mod_php (as
CentOS and BlueOnyx do), or using mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgi as some other
platforms do.

You can't do both. It is either mod_php or mod_fastcgi.

The entire site management GUI of BlueOnyx is centered on configuring Apache
for using mod_php, mod_perl and mod_ssl enabled Vsites.

So although you *could* install mod_fcgi or mod_fastcgi according to the guide
at ...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rhel-centos-fedora-apache2-fastcgi-php-
configuration.html

... this URL, it would be unwise to do so on BlueOnyx. In the long run the GUI
will probably axe your modified Vsite settings and will replace them with the
default ones designed for mod_php. You also cannot simply enable mod_fastcgi
for one site. It's a global change of the Apache configuration that will
direly and directly affect all sites.

So you'd either need to find different software that doesn't need FCGI or
you'd be better off to use a different hosting platform for that project.

FWIW: suPHP on BlueOnyx also throws mod_php over board and switches a single
site to a more FCGI'ish style. But it's not entirely what you're looking for,
as it's not "the real" FastCGI.