[BlueOnyx:06324] Re: FastCGI

lewisg lewisg at iglou.com
Mon Jan 17 10:46:33 -05 2011

Michael Stauber,

Thanks SO MUCH for your reply. While it didn't make me happy, it did
give the the facts I needed to know. Thanks you!

> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rhel-centos-fedora-apache2-fastcgi-php-
> configuration.html

I have been working on a test server using those instructions. I never
feel good about steps that require compiling. While so far this seems to
be working, I figure if software was supposed to be installed someone
would have packaged it...

> It's a global change of the Apache configuration that will
> direly and directly affect all sites.

That is what I was afraid of.

> So you'd either need to find different software that doesn't need FCGI or
> you'd be better off to use a different hosting platform for that project.

In the next year or so I'm gong to need FCGI. It's been a good run on
Raq based web hosts for me. I guess nothing lasts forever. Any
suggestions on a hosting platform? I guess an option is virtualization
where one (or more) BX hosts ran with one (or more) hosts to handle
FastCGI applications.

The other GUI on CentOS I use is SME Server. I have been using SME for
LANs and Raq->BO->BX for web sites. There is a contrib that enables
FastCGI for SME: http://wiki.contribs.org/Mod_FastCGI . So far I haven't
tried this contrib because the places I have a SME box the clients are
all running my desktop applications. While SME can do Vsites I haven't
done so because there was no need in a LAN setting. I assumed that under
the hood the two GUI on CentOS platforms were similar just with
different focus. But I could be wrong...