[BlueOnyx:07656] Re: CentOS-6.0 Released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jul 10 19:25:31 -05 2011

Hi Ernie,

> I just noticed that CentOS 6.0 has just been released:
>
>  "We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.0 for
>  i386 and x86_64 Architectures.
>
> Should be a bit of fun.

Yeah, last night I downloaded the ISOs from one of the mirrors who happened to
have all files prior to the anouncement. I also poked a bit around on the
mirrors to see what's new.

I'm of course happy that they finally have been able to get to this important
milestone, although it has taken them way too long.

But sometimes I hate to be right: As I had feared the CentOS team released a
debranded carbon copy of RHEL6 as it was at the time of its release. Not only
that, RHEL6.1 is of course also out since a while.

Just one example how much behind the CentOS6 release is compared to another
RHEL6 clone:

Bind (CentOS6):         bind-9.7.0-5.P2.el6_0.1.i686.rpm
Bind (SL6):                  bind-9.7.3-2.el6_1.P1.1.i686

The version of Bind that CentOS6 ships with, is from May 2010 and is 11
releases behind the Bind that Scientific Linux 6 ships with. The CentOS6
version is also vulnerable to CVE-2011-1910 and CVE-2011-0414, which are of
course fixed in SL6 <sigh>.

Running an OS that has a well documented backlog of half a year of missing
security patches is way too risky for my taste. So I'd caution against using
CentOS6 productively somewhere, until they've had the chance to play a lengthy
game of catch-up.

In the meantime we're using Scientific Linux 6 to prepare a rollout of a beta
of the next BlueOnyx 5107R. A beta ISO may be ready for testing "soon". But as
said: That's at first strictly for testing and not really for productive
usage.