[BlueOnyx:07658] Re: CentOS-6.0 Released

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jul 10 21:18:12 -05 2011

Hi Ernie,

User Ernie wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> I have never used Scientific Linux, how close is it to RHEL?

Very!  It's everything that RHEL (what SL refers to simply as
"Enterprise Linux") is, and 100% binary compatible, just like CentOS.
They do make a couple of additions by adding the availability of certain
packages.  Most of those added packages will not impact what we do, but
they wouldn't be considered "harmful", either.  Bottom line: if you're
comfortable using CentOS, you should be just as comfortable with SL.

> If Fermilab and CERN are behind it, that's pretty good credentials!

Indeed.  And if you look at the release history, especially in relation
to the RHEL upstream, they're pretty tight with the updates.  That is,
of course, on area where CentOS has historically been a little
frustrating for some users.

In my opinion, the only "downside" is that we won't be calling the
underlying distribution by the same name.  <shrug>   I don't consider
that a huge issue.   Maybe we lose a little ground by not having the
name recognition that CentOS provides.  But then again, if I think back
a few years, I can clearly remember introducing people to the idea of
CentOS and how it relates to RHEL.  In the end, is anybody really that
concerned by what the distribution is called, or are users interested in
the fact that it works, it's proven, and it's secure?

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services