[BlueOnyx:07665] Re: Question about importing accounts

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Mon Jul 11 12:45:47 -05 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Frank DeChellis

Hi there,

I am new to the list but have been using Blue Onyx for close to a year.  The
person working with us has been using it for a number of years.

I have a server running NetBSD with a few thousand email accounts.  I want
to migrate these users to a blue onyx box.  Reading the CMU page I can't
tell if it is for Blue Onyx to Blue Onyx migrations or if it's possible to
read in the passwd file from a BSD server and create accounts in Blue Onyx.

Before writing I tried to search out the question but I only found a few
similar questions that generating no discussion.

Any info that anybody may have is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Frank DeChellis
President, Internet Access Worldwide
Welland, Ontario, Canada
www.iaw.com
<<

Frank

If the NetBSD uses shadow files, then you could write a script uses the
shell tools to  create the email accounts; then have it modify the shadow
value to what was on the old server.
Something like
/usr/sbin/cadduser --name=$adminuser --password='$password'  --fqdn=$hostname.$domainname
 --admin --adminPassword='$serveradminpassword'

cat /etc/shadow | grep the-username
#the-username:$1$uqRVSP68$wQpEZAOzusYGwi7rbxYyL0:15161:0:99999:7:::
split it out
paste in the  value from the old server and save the file.

You could test it manually, then create the perl script if that works.

----
Ken M
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.
http://www.precisionweb.net