[BlueOnyx:07714] Re: BlueOnyx 5107R Beta available

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Jul 19 01:27:26 -05 2011

Hi Michael,

First, let me thank you for your efforts!  We do appreciate all your hard work in new development and keeping what's already there working!

If you don't mind, I've got a couple questions about the new Beta 5107R and installation.  Actually, its about the install - no matter what version.  And it may stir up some debate on the subject.

I've been working with Linux since 1995 and been keeping systems as a SysAdmin since about 2003.  So I've had many 'opportunities' to practice recovering data from corrupted drives, hacked servers, or failing systems.  But I've got to say - I've been upset with the Linux community since LVM came out!  It just seems to have been shoved down our throats - with no choice in the matter.

Taking a drive from a LVM system and mounting it on another computer (whether internal or with the common IDE<->USB adapters) seems to be a nightmare.  And although I've read it can be done - I've yet to succeed.  Luckily, each time I've had to recover data from a BQ or BX machine - I've been able to boot that drive and recover the data.

Its not that I don't appreciate what LVM can do for us - but is it really necessary.  And should it be forced on us as a mandatory part of the installation?

In this day of 3 Terabyte drives and ridiculously cheap 1+ TB drives - do we really need the ability to string together small drives with LVM?  I realize that LVM also gives us the ability to add space sorta "on the fly" - but is that really needed in BX machines?  All the BQ servers we've had were all 80 & 160Gig drives  - and we never had space issues.  Now we're on bigger HP servers with more domains on them (50-75 per box), and the 250Gig drives are not even 1/3 full.

So I'm wondering if LVM is really needed, and worth the additional complexity of accessing that data "off-box"??

For a few years, all my installations have been "custom partitioning" - so I can avoid LVM.  But in both the BQ and BX servers - I haven't had that opportunity.  I see that with the new 5107R out - there is a tarball to install on your own box.  What would you say to someone who wants to avoid LVM using the tarball installation?  And how do you think it would effect the BX installation/operation by not using LVM??

And finally - do you think we'll ever get the option to opt out of LVM in the ISO installation?

Chuck