[BlueOnyx:07715] Re: BlueOnyx 5107R Beta available

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Jul 19 07:36:41 -05 2011

Hi Chuck,
I've snipped quite a bit from the initial post and will just reply to
those points that I feel especially qualified on.

Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> So I'm wondering if LVM is really needed, and worth the additional
> complexity of accessing that data "off-box"??

First off, I should mention that I don't feel that LVM is really a
necessary item for a BlueOnyx installation.  I would be just fine with
going straight ext3.

LVM can, indeed, add a certain layer of complexity to a recovery
process.  However, in most recoveries that I have been party to (and
that's plenty, BTW) it has been sufficient to boot from CD into rescue
mode and go from there.

With respect to attaching the hard drive to another system, it's really
not that big an issue.  You just need to add the first step of changing
the logical volume name, which is straight-forward enough.  After that,
it's pretty trivial to get the drive spun up in another box.  We do that
from time to time with BlueOnyx boxes, but also commonly with other
boxes from the Fedora or RHEL family tree.  (We have around 1000 servers
screaming away in the datacenter at this point, so our chances of system
failure of some sort may be increased from the average BX user!)  At any
rate, once you're familiar with the LVM commands, it's not that big an
issue.

> And finally - do you think we'll ever get the option to opt out of LVM
> in the ISO installation?

Simply my opinion, but I like the idea of continuing to make the install
process as simple and hands-off as possible.  The fact that you can pop
the CD in the drive, boot up, hit Enter and then the next piece of input
you give is Enter to reboot to the new installation makes it very easy
for any user to install.  That keeps in the spirit of "appliance".

Given the above, I wouldn't be a fan of adding another input point into
the install process.  Maybe it's something that could be done before
hitting "Enter" to start the install similar to if you wanted to run
rescue mode you type "linux rescue" and then off to the races.  That way
users who feel advanced enough to throw some switches have that ability,
but it doesn't remove the appliance goal.   Keep in mind that anybody
responsible for maintaining a (physical) BX server will go through the
installer process.  A relatively minuscule percentage of all of those
users would ever see the rescue process.

Bottom line: if it's easy to insert a way to opt for simple ext3 instead
of LVM without creating another pause in the install process, then I
don't see the harm.   But if it changes the standard install process,
the trade-off becomes significantly less attractive.

Maybe it's a bit beyond the scope of your question, but I can't help
myself... how come you're having to recover so much data from crashed
boxes?  What happened to your backups?!  <ducks>

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services