[BlueOnyx:07341] Re: alias (virtusertable ?) issue

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Sat May 21 09:27:49 -05 2011

Hi Frank

Charles spotted a good point.  I used www.intodns.com and both the domains are returning errors; sort these first and the trouble shooting of the aliases will be far easier:

http://www.intodns.com/systea.net
http://www.intodns.com/systea.fr

Regards, Richard
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles Bowman
  Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:40 PM
  Subject: [BlueOnyx:07340] Re: alias (virtusertable ?) issue

  Hi Frank,

  there appear to be DNS and hostname issues.

  The hostname "systea.fr" uses CNAME records.
  Will not work, use A records only.

  Cheers,

  On 21 May 2011 10:29, fsoyer at systea.net <fsoyer at systea.net> wrote:

    Hi guys

    On a BO box already in production, emails are working, but I now want
    use mail aliases.
    But all aliases return "user unknown...". It's like
    virtusertable file was not used, but aliases.db ? I've no more idea.
    Please heeeelp !

    I tried :
     makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable
     makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access
     makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db <  /etc/mail/virtusertable
     /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

    and then to be sure :
     cd /etc/mail
     make clean
     make
     /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

    For example, I've an alias "frank.soyer" on a "fsoyer" user :
    # sendmail -bv fsoyer at systea.net
    fsoyer at systea.net... deliverable: mailer local, user fsoyer

    # sendmail -bv frank.soyer at systea.net
    frank.soyer at systea.net... User unknown

    I also have an alias "f.soyer" on this user.  But on another domain
    "systea.fr" on the same host I have a *user* f.soyer.
    Normally, f.soyer at systea.net should point to fsoyer in the domain
    systea.net, but :
    # sendmail -bv f.soyer at systea.net
    f.soyer at systea.net... deliverable: mailer local, user f.soyer

    And more : I tried alias names "support" and "info", and receive :
    # sendmail -bv support at systea.net
    admin... deliverable: mailer local, user admin
    # sendmail -bv info at systea.net
    admin... deliverable: mailer local, user admin

    "admin" ??? Oh yes : this two aliases are in aliases file, pointing to
    the user admin !
    So I suppose that sendmail use aliases.db but not virtusertable.db.

    Then :
    # sendmail -d60.5 -bv frank.soyer at systea.net
    map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(host, systea.net, %0=systea.net) => systea.net. (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, frank.soyer at systea.net, %0=frank.soyer at systea.net,
    %1=frank.soyer) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, @systea.net, %0=@systea.net, %1=frank.soyer) =>
    frank.soyer at www.systea.net (0)
    map_lookup(host, www.systea.net, %0=www.systea.net) => www2.systea.fr.
    (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, frank.soyer at www2.systea.fr, %
    0=frank.soyer at www2.systea.fr, %1=frank.soyer) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, @www2.systea.fr, %0=@www2.systea.fr, %
    1=frank.soyer) => NOT FOUND (0)
    frank.soyer at systea.net... User unknown

    You see ? What is strange is the line :
    map_lookup(host, www.systea.net, %0=www.systea.net) => www2.systea.fr.
    (0)
    where www2.systea.fr is the local hostname. On another BO working fine
    (I use it to try to find differences with the sick one, without
    success...) this line point to the vhost name (with the right domain
    name) not to the hostname !

    And without surprise, I find :
    # sendmail -d60.5 -bv info at systea.net
    map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(host, systea.net, %0=systea.net) => systea.net. (0)
    map_lookup(dequote, info, %0=info) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, info at systea.net, %0=info at systea.net, %1=info) =>
    NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, @systea.net, %0=@systea.net, %1=info) =>
    info at www.systea.net (0)
    map_lookup(host, www.systea.net, %0=www.systea.net) => www2.systea.fr.
    (0)
    map_lookup(dequote, info, %0=info) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, info at www2.systea.fr, %0=info at www2.systea.fr, %
    1=info) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(virtuser, @www2.systea.fr, %0=@www2.systea.fr, %1=info) =>
    NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(dequote, postmaster, %0=postmaster) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
    map_lookup(dequote, admin, %0=admin) => NOT FOUND (0)
    admin... deliverable: mailer local, user admin

    returning the alias (from aliases.db) "info" to "admin" (via postmaster,
    then root, then admin).

    A part of the virtusertable file :
    <------ snip
    support at www.systea.net       support
    info at www.systea.net        support
    @systea.net     %1 at www.systea.net
    <------ snip

    sendmail.mc (I have regenerated sendmail.cf from this one with m4) :
    define(`ALIAS_FILE',`/etc/mail/aliases, /etc/mail/aliases.majordomo')dnl
    FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
    FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
    FEATURE(redirect)dnl
    FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl

    So in the .cf I have
    Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db

    How many hours on that problem.......
    Thank you for any suggestion ! :/
    Frank