[BlueOnyx:08397] Re: Improvement Request - table lengths and site order

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 6 19:00:40 -05 2011

Hi all,

Regarding list sizes:

Yeah, it's been a hot topic even back in the Cobalt days as noticeable in some
code comments or docs. Back then the initial developers added it to their
wish-list and eventually put it aside.

Basically the table length is hard coded. It used to be 15 items, but was
eventually increased to 25.

Yes, ideally it should be configureable. Making it configureable is probably
not that difficult on its own. I need to add a database field and make it
editable in the GUI somewhere. Then the function that generates the tables
needs to be extended to poll the database for the desired table length and
we're almost there.

Part of the problem there is that the function to generate these lists is used
all over the place and then some. And there are ways to bypass the default
table length when you create such a table. If a certain parameter is given,
then that parameter is used as table length. If it is not given, the default
25 is used. Sadly some pages use "25" as length parameter, although that is
already the default. So I'd have to go through each and any GUI page to find
out where we use these tables and have to make sure that either no table
length is given and the new database stored default is used, or that (if
sensible) a hard coded value makes sense there and can be left as is.

All in all: This would be desireable and sensible. But it's a lot of work and
something that would have to wait until I have a bit more time.