[BlueOnyx:08572] Re: vmware

Jeffrey Pellin jeffrey at px2co.net
Fri Sep 23 03:07:14 -05 2011

As I recall VmWare supply a free converter to convert physical to virtual
machines.

I have used this once or twice and it is surprisingly successful. If I
remember rightly you will need to mount the disk on another machine to
convert it.

I have never tried this with a BO server, but offhand I can't see why it
wouldn't work (famous last words!)

Regards

Jeffrey

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:53:59 +0200, Miguel Saiz  wrote:  Hi,   I am
working the same. For us the best solution was to use CMU.   The work line
we did was:   1.- Provide a new virtual server (300GB of HD space thin
provision) 2.- Install BO and update yum 3.- Make it a template 4.- Use
this template to replicate the virtual machines 5.- CMU to each virtual
server   Note: The provision of 300GB is to avoid later LVM configuration
for virtual servers that need more HD space.   I hope it helps   Best
regards Miguel

 2011/9/23 Peter Robbins - Bridgewater Software Group
  Hi,

 We use BX on vmware and have successfully
converted many P2V servers.

 You can use the vmware standalone converter, which can be downloaded from
the vmware.com [2] website, but you must ensure that root can login to SSH
on the source machine - this can be set through the GUI.

 For the best results we have found CMU to be the best. There are a lot of
threads on CMU and how to use it. This method works best for us everytime.

 We are currently in the process of moving to 5107/8, which we will
accomplish using the CMU method above.

 Happy to discuss further.

 Kind regards,

 Peter Robbins
 Technical Director
 Bridgewater Software Development Ltd
 E: peter at bridgewater.it [3]
 T: +44 (0) 1442 870244 [4]
 F: +44 (0) 1442 879993 [5]
-------------------------
 IMPORTANT:
 This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended for the above named only
and may be confidential. If you are not the named recipient please notify
us immediately. You must not copy or disclose the contents to any third
party. Internet e-mail is not a
fully secure communications medium. Please
take this into account when sending e-mail to us. Any attachment(s) to this
e-mail are believed to be free from virus, but it is the responsibility of
the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks.

 BRIDGEWATER SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT LTD
 Jelmac House
 High Street
 Berkhamsted