[BlueOnyx:08583] Re: Moving Datacentre

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 13:44:57 -05 2011

Hi Michael,

On 23/09/2011 16:42, "Michael Stauber" <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:

>Hi Colin,
>
>> Is there a relatively easy way to do this or am I looking at a lot of
>> painful work? I imagine others have done this before ;)
>
>Yeah, it's somewhat painful, but over the years I built a few tools to
>keep
>the workload down.
>
>So what's involved after hauling the gear?
>
>- Change of IPs of all servers and/or the VPS's and Vsites.
>- Update of the DNS. Old IPs have to be replaced with the new IPs.

All my servers are NATed behind my firewall as you know, so it would just
be the global routable addresses that needed updating on our DNS servers.
I need to look at all the repercussions, but the current DC makes me
nervous (they rebooted someone else's server the other day when I asked
them to reboot for me!) Š

Ideally I suppose I could set up some temporary Aventurin{e} hosts at the
new site and just migrate each VPS as I update the DNS?

If I do decide to move, I will probably ask for your assistance to avoid
problems! ;)

Regards

Colin