[BlueOnyx:08585] Re: Moving Datacentre

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Sep 24 16:06:08 -05 2011

Hi Colin,

> All my servers are NATed behind my firewall as you know, so it would just
> be the global routable addresses that needed updating on our DNS servers.

Oh yeah, that's nice. So neither VPS's or the vsites need an IP address
renumbering. It's just fixing the NAT, which keeps the changes all in one
place, where a (more or less) easy search and replace should suffice. So
that's just the NAT stuff and the DNS that needs to be messed with.

> I need to look at all the repercussions, but the current DC makes me
> nervous (they rebooted someone else's server the other day when I asked
> them to reboot for me!)

Oh oh. That's off to a good start then. :o)

> Ideally I suppose I could set up some temporary Aventurin{e} hosts at the
> new site and just migrate each VPS as I update the DNS?

Yeah, that's of course also an option. As a precaution you could also decrease
the TTL of the DNS records a few days prior to the move. That way any DNS
change that you make during the renumbering propagates a lot faster. I usually
work with TTLs of 300 or 900 seconds during such phases, which is a hell of a
lot shorter than the usual 3d validity of such records.

> If I do decide to move, I will probably ask for your assistance to avoid
> problems! ;)

Sure, you have my number and I'd be glad to lend a hand. As always, Colin.