[BlueOnyx:10188] Re: BO5016 Update Procedure

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Apr 19 07:08:10 -05 2012

Hi Bill,

> Up till 2 weeks ago I had always rebooted the servers at 6am if any updates
> where made so that everything would be nice and fresh since it only takes
> about 1 minute to reboot them.

Don't reboot them, Bill. You really don't have to reboot your servers for any
BlueOnyx related updates (i.e.: Updates that come out of the [BlueOnyx] YUM
repository).

There are a few OS related updates which make it sensible to reboot. Like when
a new kernel gets installed. Then it makes sense to reboot sometime soon to
get the benefit of running the newer kernel.

Another sensible time for a reboot can be if there is a major OS update like
we had a while back when 5107R and 5108R upgraded from SL-6.1 to SL-6.2. But
during those major updates the kernel usually gets updated, too. So that would
be the primary reason for the reboot.

Other than the kernel everything else can usually always be upgraded nicely
without rebooting.