[BlueOnyx:09446] Re: Email Aliases

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.net
Wed Jan 25 11:00:42 -05 2012

Gerald Waugh wrote:
> Michael Stauber wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>>> I have followed the advice given by Chris and made sure that all the
>>> settings were correct in the GUI. I then removed the user and created a
>>> new user. I still get the following error:
>>>
>>> [127.0.0.1] #<[127.0.0.1] #5.0.0 SMTP; 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive
>>> recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify> #SMTP#
>>>
>>> If I remove the www. from the virtusertable it will fix this problem. What
>>> can I do to stop this happening in the first place?
>>
>> Example:        www.company.com
>>
>> The thing here is that all mailboxes on the server also follow this naming
>> scheme and the correct email address for a user is:

>> Example:        test at www.company.com
>>
>> Obviously one would desire that emails sent to test at company.com (omitting the
>> hostname "www") should also work.
>>
>> To achieve this and to make sure that emails to test at www.company.com AND
>> test at company.com both get delivered, one has to do the following:
>>

>> a) "Web Server Alias" & "Email Server Alias":
>> ===================================
>>
>> In the GUI go to the "Site Management" of the site in question.
>>
>> Click on "Site Settings".
>>
>> There you see two input textfields labled "Web Server Alias" & "Email Server
>> Alias". On a Sausalito powered server the "Email Server Alias" entry can be
>> found under "Services" / "Email" for the site in question.
>>
>> If the site is named "www.company.com", then your aliases (both "Web Server
>> Alias" & "Email Server Alias") should be "company.com".
>>

>> b) DNS:
>> =======
>>
>> Next go to the GUI pages for the DNS. On a BlueOnyx that's "Server Management"
>> / "Network Services" / "DNS".
>>
>> Here is the minimum of DNS records you should have on a server appliance for
>> each site:
>>
>>  company.com	 	---- A Record ---->	 	<IP-Address>
>>  www.company.com	 ---- A Record ---->	 	<IP-Address>
>>  <IP-Address>	 	---- Reverse ---->	 	company.com
>>  company.com	 	---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
>>  www.company.com	 ---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
>>
>> (*) = This MUST be the exact name (including the hostname part) of the domain
>> as shown in the GUI interface.
>
>   (*) I'm somewhat confused here, the Email and Web server aliases were
> set to company.com above. I have assumed that the MX Record would also
> point to company.com, and all my records are setup that way. Some of my
> clients use 'mail.company.com and their MX records point to
> mail.company.com, having little to do with the name of the site.
>
> I assume from your interpretation that the MX record should point to the
> name of the site, and has nothing to do with the email server alias.

>> "Web Server Alias" & "Email Server Alias" must be defined, DNS for the domain
>> needs two MX records which point to the full host- and domain name of the
>> site.
>>
>> This is ONE approach that works. There are others, which may work as well, but
> [...]

I get this on a machine when checking at
   http://www.dnsqueries.com/

Mail server host name in greeting:
The configuration of your mail servers and your DNS are not ok! The
report of the test is:

mail.vsite.com. -> ns1.server.com -> 1.2.3.4 -> server.com

Spam recognition software and RFC821 4.3 (also RFC2821 4.3.1) state that
the hostname given in the SMTP greeting MUST have an A record pointing
back to the same server.

--
Gerald