[BlueOnyx:09448] Re: Email Aliases

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jan 26 03:02:44 -05 2012

Hi Gerald,

> I assume from your interpretation that the MX record should point to the
> name of the site, and has nothing to do with the email server alias.

No, the email server alias is related. In my example the email server alias
would simply be "company.com".

>  I'm somewhat confused here, the Email and Web server aliases were
> set to company.com above. I have assumed that the MX Record would also
> point to company.com, and all my records are setup that way.
> Some of my clients use 'mail.company.com and their MX records point to
> mail.company.com, having little to do with the name of the site.

Yes, my example is the minimal approach. That's the bare metal basics. If you
name the site www.company.com, but also want "mail.company.com", then you
would (using my example) throw in one more A record and one more MX record for
these purpose. Likewise you would add the email server alias
"mail.company.com" to the site to make it work.

There are other ways that work, too. But the above is what I suggest as it's
the least complicated and the most straightforward. It also leaves room if you
ever need to add a separate vsite such as "whatever.company.com" which may or
may not have active mailboxes, too.

If you name the site "www.company.com", but simply put "company.com" as MX
record, you'll usually get the "excessive recursion, mail loops back to me"
error message. That's where people then often start to edit the virtusertable
to strip off the www part. Which opens a can of worms as these modifications
are no longer compatible with how the GUI expects the virtusertable to be.