[BlueOnyx:09447] Re: Email Aliases

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Wed Jan 25 12:15:32 -05 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Seath

I have followed the advice given by Chris and made sure that all the
settings were correct in the GUI. I then removed the user and created a new
user. I still get the following error:

[127.0.0.1] #<[127.0.0.1] #5.0.0 SMTP; 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive
recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify> #SMTP#

If I remove the www. from the virtusertable it will fix this problem. What
can I do to stop this happening in the first place?

Alan

Alan Seath wrote:

I have a BlueOnyx server and every time I create a new user to a virtual
site through the GUI it adds an entry similar to the following in the
virtusertable:

user at www.domainname.com

Nothing wrong there.

I then have to edit the virtusertable to remove the www. , save the file and
restart sendmail.
<<

Alan

In your MX records just make sure that in addition to
company.com ---- MX Record ---> mail.company.com

you also have
www.company.com ---- MX Record ---> www.company.com
or
www.company.com ---- MX Record ---> mail.company.com
or
www.company.com ---- MX Record ---> company.com

Then you won't have to manually edit the virtusertable.

On my servers I have it set to
www.company.com ---- MX Record ---> mail.company.com
and on the server for "email server aliases" in the siteadmin I have
mail.company.com
company.com

It's pretty straightforward.

As an example, my domain's DNS records are, in part,

$ORIGIN precisionweb.net.

@       IN SOA  ns1.dnssys.com. root.ns1.dnssys.com. (
        2011100807        ; Serial
        600               ; Refresh
        600               ; Retry
        2419000           ; Expire
        600             ) ; Minimum

                        3600    IN NS           ns1.dnssys.com.
                        3600    IN NS           ns2.dnssys.com.
                        3600    IN NS           ns3.dnssys.com.
                        3600    IN NS           ns4.dnssys.com.
                        3600    IN NS           ns5.dnssys.com.

mail                    3600    IN A            208.80.9.99
precisionweb.net.       3600    IN A            208.80.9.99
precisionweb.net.       3600    IN MX           20 mail.precisionweb.net.

www                     3600    IN A            208.80.9.99
www                     3600    IN MX           30 mail.precisionweb.net.

----
Ken Marcus
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.
http://www.precisionweb.net