[BlueOnyx:09455] Re: 2 CMS-Systems on one webspace

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Jan 27 14:56:32 -05 2012

Actually, using that logic - you could put both CMS into separate user "personal webs".  User1 and User2, and make sure neither is a "site admin" - they wouldn't be able to see each other's files/CMS.  That takes care of security.

But how do you handle http requests and point them to the right directory/CMS?  You'd have to create some type of home page (maybe using PHP) in the main site /web directory that would point requests to the proper CMS based on visitor selection.

That would force visitors to select when they hit the main page, because the system would have no way of telling which company's site a visitor is requesting (since they have a single domain).  A bit ugly - but it would work.

And that could entail some long-term management, updating yourself.  Since neither company would have access to that "home" or "selection" page - you'd have to do any updates/changes.  Remember, if you give either company "admin" rights to be able to modify that home/selection page - they'd be able to see the other company's CMS.  So you'd get to do it.  That could either be considered long-term PIA if you're not paid for it, or long-term job security if you bill them for the time!!

Chuck