[BlueOnyx:10790] Sendmail access bug ?

Frank Soyer fsoyer at systea.net
Thu Jun 14 03:40:40 -05 2012

Dear list,
I wonder if I have not found a bug in sendmail management.

Here is the story: a customer tell me that he can't send emails.
Verifying the logs, I see that sendmail says "user unknown..." for the
SENDER of these emails.
In the GUI, for that virtualhost, the mails are disabled (managed
directly by a FAI), and no alias for this domain (say "domain.com" for
example) exists, in any virtualhost, on this server.
So sendmail should NOT consider that it must verify anything for this
domain, right ? But it do.

What I find : the virtualhost was renamed, from dev.domain.com, to
www.domain.com.
When it was "dev", an alias "domain.com" exists on that virtualhost
(but, the emails was disabled). Then it was renamed to "www", and THEN
the domain mail alias was removed.

In /etc/mail/access (and access.db, thus) the reference to "dev" was
still here ! In a block "### Start Block Email for Virtual Site:
dev.domain.com ###" containing "dev.domain.com" AND "domain.com".
A new reference to "www.domain.com" was added in a new block "Start
Block Email.....", but only with "www.domain.com" in it (I suppose that
"domain.com" was here too but deleted when the mail alias was removed in
the GUI in the vhost www.domain.com).

Removing the bloc referencing "dev" and recompiling the access.db has
resolved the problem. But not sure that BlueOnyx will not rebuild the
access file with this old vhost ? It's a server in production
(e-commerce) and it's difficult to test it for now.

What do you think about that ?

Frank