[BlueOnyx:09848] Re: Memory Usage

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 20 22:42:25 -05 2012

Hi Matthew,

> 512MB of memory

Yeah, that's the problem. Even if the server is totally idle and not doing
much, it'll already be choking.

It gets progressively worse when there is some activity, as the server will
have to rely heavily on the Swap space.

Then during the cron.daily run things will grind to a halt when all these
memory hungry logrotate and webalizer stuff runs.

No, that server really needs more RAM. Or being replaced with something that
has more RAM to begin with. The absolute minimum of RAM that I'd consider is
1GB for 5106R and 5107R and that already cuts it short. This also applies for
5108R, although a 64-bit system is a bit more greedy about RAM. So there I'd
rather bump the minimum requirement to 1.5GB just to be on the safe side.