[BlueOnyx:09953] Re: Memory Usage

Kevin Anderson kAnderson at digital-adrenaline.com
Sat Mar 31 07:25:58 -05 2012

In Addition to what everyone else here has said, I'll add that if your box is constantly in swap, it'll be having an impact on the performance of every other box that shared disk access with this one.  So adding another 512M or more RAM here won't just benefit the BO server, it'll likely benefit all of your servers, because the overall disk activity will drop, leaving more disk time for the other virtual servers.

My experience is all with VMware.  However, conceptually, they're all the same.  Saving money on RAM will never pay off.  Aim to have all of your servers running with plenty of RAM for their needs (I'd say 2G is a better BO minimum, especially on a virtualized system) because an overloaded disk sybsystem is usually the first and most serious bottleneck you'll have.  It's also the most expensive and least convenient problem to address.

Kev.