[BlueOnyx:09866] Re: Incoming Email with same domain on FROM address = bounced (5106R)

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Mar 21 13:56:26 -05 2012

I think I've seen what you're talking about Charles.  A domain's e-mail and website are on two different servers.  But the one with the website can't e-mail webpage generated forms to the e-mail server.

We've seen this when some of our business customers pay for hosted Exchange, but have their websites on our local BX servers.  If the BX server is not informed that its not authoritative for mail for that domain - it will attempt to deliver it locally.  Of course, there won't be a mailbox for that - and all that happens is a error logged.

In the past, that entailed going into the Sendmail config files at the command line and taking out all references to the local domain.  The server would then do a MX lookup for that domain and correctly forward the message outward.  But BX introduced a new checkbox a few years back.  If the website is on the local BX server, go into the SITE MANAGEMENT tab, click to configure the domain in question, on the left side - click SERVICES and EMAIL.  Once on that page - checkmark the box labeled "Disable Email for Domain", and then SAVE.

That should do it - your BX server now knows that its not hosting e-mail for that domain.  It should do a MX lookup for any e-mail for that domain and correctly forward it out to that server.

Now, the problem is if your BX server is hosting the e-mail, and the website is somewhere else.  In that case - the other server is the one that has to be configured so it knows its not hosting the e-mail.  That could be difficult or easy, depending on what OS the other server is running.  But either way - its the other guy's problem, not yours.

Good luck Charles.  And let us know how it works out.

Chuck