[BlueOnyx:09924] Re: Importing users that have DES passwords

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Mar 28 15:54:44 -05 2012

Hi Ernie,

> I have about 350 users that I want to import into a virtual site, that have
> come from an old FreeBSD server that was using DES56 passwords not MD5. Is
> there anyway of converting their passwords to MD5 or failing that can DES56
> passwords be supported on a BX server?

I think a conversion from DES56 to MD5 isn't possible. At least not in an easy
fashion. I could be wrong on that, but I doubt it.

DES56 shouldn't be used anymore these days, as it only allows for a maximum
password length of 8 characters.

Switching BlueOnyx to DES56 is also not trivial. Even if DES56 is (still)
supported by the OS, too many bits and pices in the GUI dealing with user
management or CMU just assume MD5. So it would require a lot of changes and
would lover overall security and maintainability.

It may be easier to create a tab delimited list of usernames and new random
passwords. Email the new passwords to the users prior to the migration with
enough advanced notice. Then on the day of the move, just run a script that
walks through your list and sets the pre-made random passwords for each user.