[BlueOnyx:09925] Re: Importing users that have DES passwords

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Wed Mar 28 20:33:44 -05 2012

Hi Michael,
most linux defaults to DES, you have to edit /etc/login.defs variable
ENCRYPT_METHOD to get it to use MD5 or SHA for the shadow password file.

Are you saying that if I set ENCRYPT_METHOD to DES before I import the users,
that the scripts in the GUI won't be able to deal with it?

- Ernie.

> Hi Ernie,
>
> > I have about 350 users that I want to import into a virtual site, that have
> > come from an old FreeBSD server that was using DES56 passwords not MD5. Is
> > there anyway of converting their passwords to MD5 or failing that can DES56
> > passwords be supported on a BX server?
>
> I think a conversion from DES56 to MD5 isn't possible. At least not in an easy
> fashion. I could be wrong on that, but I doubt it.
>
> DES56 shouldn't be used anymore these days, as it only allows for a maximum
> password length of 8 characters.
>
> Switching BlueOnyx to DES56 is also not trivial. Even if DES56 is (still)
> supported by the OS, too many bits and pices in the GUI dealing with user
> management or CMU just assume MD5. So it would require a lot of changes and
> would lover overall security and maintainability.
>
> It may be easier to create a tab delimited list of usernames and new random
> passwords. Email the new passwords to the users prior to the migration with
> enough advanced notice. Then on the day of the move, just run a script that
> walks through your list and sets the pre-made random passwords for each user.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

"I Ping therefore I am."