[BlueOnyx:11661] Blocking connections by IP address

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 16:51:01 -05 2012

Our server is being sent loads of POP3 login requests.  They're slow (about 6s apart) and not really causing a problem, but I was under the impression the server would block these once the volume go to above 60 failed log in's within one hour.

Nov  5 15:28:21 vps1 dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<lexus>, method=PLAIN, rip=95.211.132.81, lip=[xx.our.ip.xx]

So, two questions...

Is there anyway to tweak the configuration so these are blocked automatically?  The GUI says the IP is blocked, but new connections are still appearing in the log.

Alternatively, is there any way I can add the offending IP address to a blacklist manually?

Many thanks indeed.