[BlueOnyx:11662] Re: Blocking connections by IP address

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Mon Nov 5 17:08:10 -05 2012

The manual add is easy.

At the command line as root, use:
iptables -I acctin 1 -s x.x.x.x -j DROP (replacing the x.x.x.x with the originating/offending IP)

If you see connections coming from more than one IP in the same network, add a /24 to the back of the IP to block that entire 24-bit network.

But remember, this is in memory only.  As soon as your BX server is rebooted, you add a site, delete a site, or change a IP - that manual firewall addition is gone.  Its a good method to temporarily block a IP or group of IPs that is hacking on you.  Because as soon as they can't get through any more - they'll move on.  But this isn't permanent.

Chuck