[BlueOnyx:12731] /var/log filling up with log files and running out of space

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 07:02:52 -05 2013

On my 5108R I'm seeing a fairly consistent problem where the log files are growing and causing /var to run out of space - this stops mail for send/receive and a few other things.  It accelerates when there is a security issue as the log files grow quite rapidly.

Can I move /var/log to the /home partition without breaking the server?

My idea is as follows, doing everything as root:

mkdir /home/log
cp -r /var/log/* /home/log
rm -fr /var/log
ln -s /home/log /var/log

Forgive me if this seems entirely stupid, but I have to do something because every ten days or so I get calls/sms from clients saying: "oo-er, moi email don't be working" (or something similar).  All I need to do is delete a few of the biggest log files and life resumes as normal.

Maybe someone has a stronger solution or would care to comment on the above.  Will this survive a reboot?

Thanks for the help.  Richard