[BlueOnyx:12734] Re: /var/log filling up with log files and running out of space

Eric Peabody admin at bnserve.com
Tue Apr 2 11:33:30 -05 2013

Richard,

That should work but you might want to see if something else is using
excess space in /var.  See what the top directories in /var are using with:

   du -s /var/*|sort -n

There may be dead emails in /var/spool/mqueue or /var/spool/clientmqueue
or similar cruft so this can be useful too:

  du -s /var/spool/*|sort -n

Lastly, /var/lib/mysql, where databases are kept, can be a problem.  On
one server I did something like your suggestion to move that directory
under /home.

Of course, you should make any changes in single-user mode to be sure
that the files are not being updated while you are moving stuff around.

Eric