[BlueOnyx:12763] Re: Uncool email

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 11:28:53 -05 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Ralf Quint <Smoothwall at gmx.net> wrote:
> At 03:47 PM 4/2/2013, shouldbe q931 wrote:
>> >
>>What's wrong with reading mail is a web browser? it avoids problems
>>with POP3 clients downloading messages more than once...
> Don't ever have this problem myself, I would know how to set up a
> POP3 client, as I do use one for all the mailing lists I am subscribed to.
>
> People using web browsers tend to be more stupidified when it comes
> to use common sense and there is barely any properly working spam
> filter working in web browsers, that's actually the most important reason.
> You can also rarely see (without going through hoops) the headers of
> an email and a lot of web based email sites seem to give a rat's a**
> about properly RFC compliant emails. The later seems to be a problem
> in particular for users of Macs and iCrap devices...
>
> Ralf
>
> PS: Those are all observations of my daily work as an IT consultant...

Well I use gmail for all my mailing lists, and the web interface is
much easier than having to manage a POP3/IMAP client, it also does
"plain text" reasonably well. I can see the headers with one click.

Spam filters don't belong in web browsers, they belong on email
servers. IMHO Client based spam filtering is a waste of resource, spam
filtering should be done at the perimeter...

Granted I only use gmail for mailing lists, I wouldn't use it for
"real" email. For "real" email I run Exchange, as I am yet to find an
open source shared nothing clustered email solution that is as easy to
use. My perimeter spam filtering is however most certainly not on
Exchange :-)

Different horses for different courses...

Cheers

Arne