[BlueOnyx:12801] Re: OT: Backup MX

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Apr 10 12:38:16 -05 2013

Hi Dan,

On 4/10/2013 12:29 PM, Dogsbody wrote:

> I'm intrigued, does anyone run backup MX for their domains any more or
> has spam killed that practice?
>
> Dan

We run 3 inbound MX's for all of our hosting customers.  They are each
in a diverse geographic location, and each one performs spam filtering
duties, with logging centralized to a MySQL database on the primary
system.

Given user propensity to gripe if email hiccups for more than 90
seconds, I would not consider anything less...

In a "worst case" scenario, we might lose a hosting box, so email
delivery (reception to the server) would be delayed.  But in the
meantime inbound mail queues on the filtering systems waiting for the
hosting box to come back online.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services